Here is an example of how to change your physical keyboard layout from default to German.
1. Open Settings.
2. Choose Language & input.
3. Scroll down to the PHYSICAL KEYBOARD section and find the model/name of the keyboard that you are using. For the purposes of this tutorial, we'll use Dell Keyboard.
4. Click "Set up keyboard layouts".
5. In the layout list, find the layout you want and switch it on. Then click the "Back arrow" in the top left corner of the window.
6. You should now be able to see the keyboard layout you just chose under CHOOSE KEYBOARD LAYOUT. Make sure this layout is selected and then click on the "back button".
7. Under the model/name of your keyboard, you should see the layout name you just selected. This shows that you have changed your keyboard layout successfully.